Someone on the list had a story about causing a panic when a screen
with "you didn't pay your bill" was flashed to an early morning
employee.

I guess they thought the company was shutting down.

Now the page just says: Please contact us.

ryan

On Aug 12, 2009, at 1:08 PM, Jason Wallace wrote:

> Could someone sue for this?
>
> In a pizza shop in a town I used to live by, there "was a wall of
> shame" where they posted all
> bounced checks for everyone to see with a little sign at the top
> that if your check bounced it
> would be posted there until you paid up.  I would never do it, but
> it was a great incentive!
>
> Jason
>
> Jonathan Schmidt wrote:
>>
>> Yes, Mike, it isn't the same as sending a letter...even if the
>> color of
>> the envelope is indicative of some situation.  Nevertheless, the
>> legal
>> rules are very strict...nobody but the addressee can open it.
>>
>> When you put something on every screen on every PC using a
>> subscriber's
>> account and reveal any financial matter, especially an embarrassing
>> one, a
>> "hot head" may, when enraged, do all sorts of things...especially
>> if the
>> mistake isn't theirs (which is a small but possible event).
>>
>> If you can get the account holder to sign into a Web site with their
>> assigned USERNAME and PASSWORD...that's OK and you can exchange
>> confidential information.  If you can get them to call, that's OK
>> ("...can
>> I have your name and last 4 digits of your SS#?).
>>
>> Creating a "gated garden" which allows an immediate click-to-
>> restore but
>> states that a situation exists that requires the account holder to
>> call a
>> phone number is OK since it doesn't slander the account holder (maybe
>> mistakenly), can verify the account holder, and, if the message
>> screen is
>> only on port 80 and doesn't stop the VoIP phone from accessing 911,
>> etc.,
>> there is no jeopardy.  And, that screen can come more and more
>> frequently...maybe every 5 minutes until they call.
>>
>> ...just a further thought.
>>
>> . . . j o n a t h a n

>>> subscription.  It also may stop a law suit...a typical response