We got severely screwed during the MCI->Verizon transition.  They
stopped billing us our overage on our DS-3 for about 6-8 months.  We
just assumed we hadn't gone over our base rate.  All of a sudden, we
get an invoice in the mail for something like $20k+.  The very next
day we get a call from collections asking why we haven't paid our bill
and that it's past due.  We explain that we just received it and
explained how they put all the charges in for their original dates
instead of for the invoice date.

Next day, our service goes down.  We are on the phone calling
everyone.  Support says our circuit is up and everything is fine.  Get
a hold of billing and they say we were shut off for non-payment.  We
pay the bill over the phone and the circuit is still down for several
hours.  We call for days asking for answers and no one knows what
happened or why we were down.  Support says it was a problem with our
equipment and that the circuit wasn't turned off due to non-payment.

We had already setup another connection but didn't have a backhaul big
enough to handle our traffic yet.  Needless to say, we moved all
traffic off that circuit the next day and called and cancelled the
Verizon DS-3.

Now, for the funny part.  We cancelled the service as fast as we could
per our contract.  Something like 30 days notice or something.  But
even after that, they left the circuit up and running.  We
disconnected it from our router it was still connected to the CSU.
About three months later, they actually pull the circuit.  We get a
call from support telling us that it appears our connection is down
and to check our equipment!  I explained that the reason it was down
was due to the cancellation.

They still tried to bill us for the time of cancellation until they
removed the circuit.  Lots of fighting later, even after showing them
their letter confirming our cancellation after received our certified
letter, I don't think it was ever resolved.

The circuit was originally purchased from UUNET and there were great.
MCI acquired them and support went downhill fast.  Like Cogent, you
could have someone at UUNET look at BGP problems 24/7.  Once MCI took
over, they only had an engineer available M-F,8-5.  Once Verizon took
over, it was absolutely terrible.