I am very interested in your OS.  What will be the minimum horsepower
router on which it will run?  If it would run on say a MT 450G, and
the price was right, you'd sell a bunch!  I'd buy several for my network.

An agnostic approach to bandwidth management is MY preferred way to
deal with network congestion.  If the pipe is getting clogged, look
for long duration threads and delay those packets in deference to
those short duration network transactions.  Let the web pages load
fast, let users retrieve email fast, but if there is congestion, take
the headroom away from the bandwidth hogs until the congestion frees up.

Addressing congestion in this manner, instead of spending hours and
hours adjusting your network for the latest P2P or identifying the
latest video delivery codec, will keep you out of trouble with any
net police who might accuse you of targeting streams from a
particular provider, or streams of a particular genre.  All
connections, from all users, to all sources will be treated with the
same fairness rules.

We currently have such a device running on our network that has made
a dramatic difference in the dynamics of how our network
operates.  The device already exists.  It's called a
NetEqualizer.  There are a couple things about the NetEq your OS will
no doubt fix and add value to a net op.

First, the NetEq is a core device.  It examines connections,
bandwidth usage and congestion.  It polices the cumulative bandwidth,
compares it to what you've set as the maximum pipe size, and does
it's thing.  The traffic still has to transit the wireless network to
reach the core device.  A separate appliance at every AP or cluster
accomplishing the same thing would be a thing of beauty.  There is no
way we could afford a NetEq at every such point in the network, but
if your OS will run on a lower cost device, I WOULD but one it at
several points and actually keep on-air traffic managed better.

The second place your OS would correct a shortcoming of NetEq is
again moving it away from the core.  At the core, every connection
from a separate subnet, say from a distant tower deployment will look
like they come from a single IP instead of from the many who might be
using the tower.  NetEq will still identify each thread as unique,
UNLESS multiple users happen to be connected to the same distant IP
address like Google, or MSN, or others.  If the appliance were to be
moved to the remote tower site, it could do its own "agnostic"
conditioning of bandwidth BEFORE it gets on the backbone.

So Butch, if there is good value in the system; its affordable, and
will run on affordable hardware, and works well, count me in for
several of them.  I think, with those caveats addressed, you will
sell scads of them on this list alone.  As a rural WISP, with very
high wholesale bandwidth expenses, placement of such devices on our
network would indeed take us over the next hurdle which is no doubt coming.

God Speed in your development and keep me posted.  I'd even be a beta
tester on a select repeater site.

Regards,

Mike