On Fri, Nov 13, 2009 at 09:17:58AM -0800, MDK wrote:
> I guess you could call me "lucky" in that I have access to darn good rates.
>
> I'm currently at $60/mbit and working to see if my provider will give me a
> break for doubling my commit.

Continued business with you should be important. If you offer to pay the
same and get more bandwidth, that should work for everyone.

> We're also looking at deploying either Ubnt's M based equipment or someone
> else's if anyone ever comes up with something workable and affordable, as an
> addition to our already deployed network.

I've found the rocket5m to work pretty good with 2' dishes for ptp
links. The speed is real and it runs well. It does needs a minor work
around in that the automatic distance setting does not work, you need to
manually set it, plus 15%. I can get 100mbit no problem with 20mhz
spectrum.

This is serious praise, as I generally prefer midrange or higher end
stuff like Alvarion, Trango, and I generally have serious reservations
about the cheap stuff for honest calculated reasons.

> We initially had a bandwidth cost of of about $6/customer, it reached a low
> of about $3.3 a year or two after starting, and now it's back up to a little
> less than $5 / customer.     We've raised our rates 50 cents, cut our
> administrative costs by $.70 for most customers by changing to EFT payments,
> and now we're trying to figure out how to keep up with our expected 3X use
> of data transfer and still keep our bandwidth costs within our planned
> maximum of $8 over the next 3 years.

I've never raised rates in 15 years and use that as a differentiator
between us and the standard practices of the duopoly cable/telephone
competition. (We keep rates a little higher to begin with)

> We have some strategies to help with this, one of them is to offer a premium
> service to residences that has higher than cable or dsl speeds for around
> $225-250 / mo, and it appears we can deliver this to over 90% of our service
> area at a moderate investment.
>
> Also, we're liscensing up big time for deploying 3.65 in a PtMP scheme over
> a sizeable area, as well.
>
> About a year ago, my biggest competitor began deploying stuff that looks
> identical to mine, though I know that it's Mikrotik inside instead of
> Star-OS.   It's time to make that big step up and be ahead again for a
> while.

/*
Jason Philbrook   |   Midcoast Internet Solutions - Wireless and DSL
    KB1IOJ        |   Broadband Internet Access, Dialup, and Hosting
 http://f64.nu/   |   for Midcoast Maine    http://www.midcoast.com/
*/