On Tue, 2009-12-01 at 17:16 -0600, Data Technology wrote:
> This won't work because if the dsl provider is down somewhere within
> their network the dsl modem will still answer ping requests on the local
> interface.

I have not read all of this thread.  Here is the approach I use and it
works well, with only 1 problem:

1. Create a static route to something (I use 4.2.2.2) via DSL1
2. Create a static route to something else (4.2.2.3) via DSL2

What you have now, are 2 IP addresses (4.2.2.2 and 4.2.2.3) that will
ignore any default route you may or may not have installed.

3. Create a netwatch that will test to host 4.2.2.2 (for example).
3a. down script will change default gateway for DSL1 to point to DSL2,
fix policy routes, enable dhcp client options or whatever.
3b. up script will "undo" all the changes made by 3a

4. You can do a netwatch for 4.2.2.3 as well, though it is only
necessary if you are using DSL2 as a "load sharing" interface/route.

This is all easier "done" than "said" and easier "said" than
"typed".  :-)

* Butch Evans                   * Professional Network Consultation*
* http://www.butchevans.com/    * Network Engineering              *
* http://www.wispa.org/         * Wired or Wireless Networks       *
* http://blog.butchevans.com/   * ImageStream, Mikrotik and MORE!  *