From: wireless-boun...@wispa.org [mailto:wireless-boun...@wispa.org] On
Behalf Of os10ru...@gmail.com
Sent: Monday, December 07, 2009 9:52 PM
To: fai...@snappydsl.net; WISPA General List
Subject: Re: [WISPA] Insurance....

Somebody's got to pay for the R&D and to allow the pharmaceutical companies
to make a profit so people invest so that they can afford to invent the next
wonder drug. Right it's Americans who are paying for that. The drug
companies could charge everyone $88.33 if we all paid the same price. But
then $88.33 would be deemed unfair for the people in the 3rd world (though
somehow it's fair for people in the US to pay for all of the R&D and half
the cost of the drug for people in the third world). Or we could force the
drug companies to sell their product to everyone for $5 then they go out of
business or at least stop inventing and instead go into the generic business
and no new drugs come down the pike. Don't think the drug companies could
spend time and money pursuing new drugs (not every pursuit bears fruit) and
make a profit if they sold their drugs everywhere at $5 a dose. But what
you're talking about will come to pass. If the companies can't make a
substantial profit in the
  US market (allowing them to be philanthropic in the foreign markets) then
drug prices will have to go up in Europe and Asia, and unfortunately many of
the local people in those markets won't be able to afford it.

I see drug companies selling drugs at a fraction of their real cost in the
third world as a sign of generosity and compassion, not what's wrong with
the system.

On Dec 7, 2009, at 8:19 PM, Faisal Imtiaz wrote:

> E.g. .... You can purchase Medical Drugs, Mfg. By the same American
Company,
> for $10 in Canada, and the same  in the Far East for $5, but here in the
US

----