The thing is there are cases or palces where Wireless cant be made reliable
for a specific situations that limit that location. People will remember
those rare cases and associate them with Wireless in general,
 without understanding that taht is a different situation and not the norm.
People blaim Wireless or the wireless provider for a lot, but its rarely the
Wireless's fault.

You'd also be surprised how often Sonet Rings wont properly route the other
direction around the ring, when a failure occurs, based on the type of
failure. The Fiber Ring is a physical redundancy method, but it doesn't mean
that the intelligence part over top it will properly direct the traffic.

Its also hard to get a fiber carrier to truthfully disclose the full inner
workings of their network, for the buyer to verify a claimed redundant path
will truly offer full redundancy.
The only way to know for sure, and guarantee it wont change over time, is to
do it yourself, or work with someone small enough who is not afraid to show
the proof.

For example, for some of my customers, I'll map out hop per hop the path
their data will go both primary and backup path.  I'm not saying I give
redunancy ever, because there are many places my network is not redundant.
But I could built it redundant and PROVE IT, when customers were willing to
pay for that.

For Fiber,. If I want guaranteed redundant Fiber transport paths, they will
charge me for two circuits, double the price. And I could get better
diversity if I jsut deployed two wireless links to diverse paths.

So To compare reliabilty of Wireless to Fiber, its really only an apples to
apples comparison if we compare a single wireless link to a  non-redundant
single fiber path.

For example, a Wireless ring could jsut as equally be created to compare
against a Sonet ring.

At the end of the day, the only thing Fiber gives us is more capacity when
that capacity is actually needed.
Unless of course, LOS cant be achieved, or distance to long for the
technology.

But the worst travisty in public perception is that the public often
associates Wireless with the lowest technology capabilty. Fixed PTP wireless
should NOT be bundled into the same category as PtMP Wifi.

Tom DeReggi
RapidDSL & Wireless, Inc
IntAirNet- Fixed Wireless Broadband