>From a friend with extensive experience in disaster relief. Some tips on
donations for long-term rebuilding effort as well. And good points about
distributing donations if possible as organizations reach their capacity.

TL;DNR: I second what's been said about Doctors w/o Borders. Partners in
Health also has a strong presence in Haiti particularly and is 100% legit
(this is Dr. Paul Farmer's org for those who are familiar with him).

---
hi folks,
i've gotten a lot of emails (from many of you, actually!) asking for advice
about where and how to give to help the survivors of Haiti's earthquake.
 so, i've decided to send out a semi-mass email.
most of you know about my background in disaster relief--so while i clearly
don't know everything, and post-disaster areas are notoriously complex, i've
got a few thoughts.

first, some guiding principles (this wording from Texas in
Africa<http://texasinafrica.blogspot.com/>
):
1. Donate to organizations with an established presence, quickly. The
ability to charter helicopters, buy tarps, and distribute water is eased
considerably if the organization has cash in hand.
2. Work with organizations that have local staff in leadership positions and
who are empowered to make quick decisions on the ground.
3. Work with organizations that partner with local social institutions, like
houses of worship or community organizations. These groups' social networks
and language skills mean that they're quickly able to identify specific
problems and solutions, make lists of victims, and respond to traumatized
populations in culturally-relevant ways.

for folks who want to give and have impact now, i'm suggesting MSF (Doctors
Without Borders) <http://www.msf.org/> and Partners in
Health<http://pih.org/home.html>because both have in-country staff,
strong in-country relationships, and a
fantastic track record.  unlike in many other countries, MSF was already an
important part of haiti's healthcare infrastructure, so they aren't
outsiders to the degree that they sometimes are.  also, MSF's main building
was destroyed, so they'll be in particular need of cash, fast.

that said, PIH and MSF are going to max out their capacity at some point,
and then we'll need to bolster their efforts by supporting
smaller, less-well-known groups.  unfortunately, those groups haven't
emerged yet--it'll depend on who still has able staff.
so, you might consider holding off for a few days to wait and see who they
are--figuring that most folks are going to give immediately to the big-name
organizations they can easily trust.

or you might consider looking ahead to longer term recovery.  my main
suggestions on that front at this point are Catholic Relief
Services<http://crs.org/>and Architecture
for Humanity <http://architectureforhumanity.org/>.  CRS has been in haiti
for 50 years and will likely be one of the long-term recovery partners (in
addition to crisis response right now).  giving them some support on the
front end will make their planning for the next year better.  AFH will be
focused on the rebuilding effort.  they've got a long history with haiti and
frankly, they just do good work.  i'd encourage folks to think long-term
while this is still dominating our thoughts.

finally, if you have connections to a faith-based or community-based group
that you KNOW is doing EFFECTIVE, EMPOWERING work and still has
on-the-ground capacity, i'd recommend giving to them as well.  they'll be
able to be more nimble than some of the larger organizations and, like i
said earlier, can support the Red Cross, Mercy Corp, PIH, MSF, etc. once the
bigger organizations' capacity is reached.

ok, that's what i have right now.  input/questions welcome--but just reply
to ME (mary.jordan.sm...@gmail.com)
if you find this helpful, feel free to forward it around.

love to all,