I've been on wireless lists and watched discussions about network
management, traffic management, and "damage control" for what's almost a
decade now.    What I can say with confidence can be summed up as follows:
"We in this industry have absolutely no common agreement on a vast array of
network management issues".    While we agree generally that such network
manage must be done, we're as diverse in our approach, methods, philosophy
and even goals, as we are in number.

I doubt that any random pickings of 100 WISP's would, if each management
approach is studied carefully, would find that there would be any "system"
or "common approach" with numbers higher than 10, of WISP's who use very
similar approaches to ANYTHING.

Can ANYONE, with confidence, read the below statement of ideas, and come
away believing the the FCC people (and far less likely Congress) could write
the rules and end up even the below IDEAS in play, much less actually
accomplish what they're after, while at the same time not causing any of us
monster headaches, and major issues due to the fact that they just haven't
any idea what the bloody heck they're doing?

WE COULD NOT DO IT FOR EACH OTHER.    I don't know if you'd dispute that,
but that's my take.   I could not write a legalese network administration
rule set that wouldn't eventually result in havoc for most of you.   And
vice versa.

"Confidence they'll make it work out well.."???   Great... what kind of
supermen do they have?    They can walk on water, never fart, and their feet
don't stink, as well?   I'd really like to meet these supermen who can not
only build an all encompassing set of regulations that allow us to have full
flexibility for network management, but manage to write in in LEGALESE that
we can understand and implement, while keeping all the technical aspects
fully transparent and intact.

NOWHERE  and in no place is there any evidence of this type of approach.
Rather, the system becomes tightly chained down, legally codifying design,
mechanism, and methods, along with legal standards and mechanisms designed
to measure and define the outcomes.    It has taken... errr... nearly a
decade, to get INFORMAL AGREEMENT from the FCC concerning antenna
substitution, and it's not ACTUALLY in the legal language of the rules, just
advised as a policy concerning ENFORCEMENT.

We have "de facto" modular approval to build our own stuff...   But again,
it's... "enforcement policy", not coded into the rules.

I note with some humor that the FCC has considered itself to be 'highly
flexible" and adaptable when it comes to technological change.    Yet,
compared to how WE need to function, it's iron bound rigidity.

Let's not go fooling ourselves that net neutrality is going to be
"reasonable and wise".    That's the stuff of fantasies.   There is no real
life example to exist, and no reason to believe any earthshaking change is
on the way on behalf of our Swamp on the Potomac.    It's going to end up
being fine grained, and will be specifying mechanisms, procedure, methods,
and even defining how to arrive at a comply/not comply via detailed and
specific testing.     They don't have the enforcement capacity, the courts
will not have "judgment" to determine what is and isn't reasonable.   There
will be no "reasonable" standard, it will be much like the rigidity of every
other mandate.    The rules will be written for THEIR convenience, and our
cost and headaches are of no concern and never will be.    There's no
federal agency with the expertise which can understand and analyze our
networks to comply with "philosophical" goals.   Instead, there will be
specific and detailed mandates and compliance will be... well, just don't
think it'll be ... flexible.    Perhaps by their standards,  but that's
still a rigidity and regimentation that would put the Army to shame.

Somewhere, somehow, we need to make a stand...  "NO more intrusion into what
we do".   Period.   We should have been doing this before the "more" needed
to be inserted into that statement, but that chance was lost before it even
technically, since founding WISPA members ASKED the FCC to get involved in
our business in the first place, before there was actually a WISPA.

This rejection of regulatory excess isn't limited to internet provider
folks.    It's being thrown at EVERYONE.   From very onerous rules about
family farms and small producers of anything edible, to requiring you to buy
a type of insurance just to be allowed to breath, and many, many other
items, there's no reason to think that "reasonable" is anywhere within this
government's vocabulary - at least not in a form that any of us would
recognize.    It's time to take a phrase from that OTHER Reagan... and "Just
say no!".