In California, the educational institutions formed an organization called
The Corporation for Education Network Initiatives in California (CENIC)
http://www.cenic.org/. CENIC designed, built and operates a fiber network
that connects to public and private K-20 institutions. They claim that the
cost to connect to their network is 50% of comparable commercial networks.

Tim