From: wireless-boun...@wispa.org [mailto:wireless-boun...@wispa.org] On Behalf
Of Marlon K. Schafer
Sent: Wednesday, April 14, 2010 1:50 AM
To: WISPA General List
Cc: sp-...@sp-ceo.com
Subject: [WISPA] how to protect your kids

Hi All,

Here's the scenario.  My kids are expressly forbidden from having email
addresses outside my domain.  They are forbidden from having myspace,
facebook etc. sites.

If they want an email, fine by me, but it's one that *I* can check on.

If they want a web site, fine by me, but make it a real one that *I* can
delete things from.

I'm trying to teach them to NOT do or say things on the internet that might
bite them in the butt later.  The days of people eventually forgetting the
stupidity of youth or passion are long gone.

Anyway, my 13 year old has a myspace account.  He used a hotmail email
address to get it.  He had permission to use neither of them.  I finally
found out about the myspace account and went in to check out what he'd been
saying.  His trash and sent messages had both been erased between when I got
the password out of him and when I had time to check on it.  (I didn't know
that his zune, a video player!!!! would ALSO allow him to get on the net and
work on his page, talk to his friends etc.  deep sigh)

So, I contacted myspace, using his account, and asked for all of the deleted
information.  I explained that I was the father of a minor and that he had
no permission to use their site and I wanted to know what was being hidden
from me.  I gave my full name AND phone number as well as my email address.

They were very good about contacting me quickly about this issue.  However
they flatly refused to provide me with any information!!!!!  They had NO
proof of age etc. on the account.  Nothing to verify that the child was over
18 etc.  And *I* as the PARENT am prevented from accessing the account
information!  "go get it from your teen" is basically what I was told.

WTF is this???????  Absolutly amazing.

So, what do the rest of you do to try to protect or control your kids these
days?

thanks
marlon