I gave up on Western Digital and Maxtor YEARS ago from experience and went
to 100% Seagate.  I was very happy with them all these years until the past
2 years when their drives started showing up in Wal-Mart with a "Low Price".
Since then I've had lots of failures and RMA's.  I buy a lot of drives and I
only buy the retail version, never the OEM, so I've had a good chance to get
bad ones.  The problem seems to be a change in their production.  Parts made
in this country, assembled in another, flashed in yet another..........
Maybe the economics work for them but the quality is failing.

The issue with these particular drives.......  The circuit board was
flashed, sent to another factory and married up with the wrong drive.  From
what I understand, the errors start to build up to the point that the
firmware locks it out.  I was able to TFTP into one of the drives, they are
serial after all, and reset it in order to get some info off the drive
(Seagate will charge 40 bucks to that for me even though they caused the
problem)  but it's really getting hard to find quality anymore in PC
hardware.

That's my rant for the day.

Low prices.  Always.

Bob-