I agree that different revisions/hardware versions can make all the
difference. The Seagate 1.5TB drives were terrible out of the gates but
since then the product has greatly improved and we employ several with
no trouble. We knew going into purchasing them that we needed to get a
certain fw version, etc so it took some research. It's a shame it came
to where you had to specifically seek out certain revisions of a series,
but it's the similar to researching/finding the right firmware/software
for your needs, too.

The same goes for Microsoft's Xbox 360 -- it's a great product, but for
the, what, first two years? the failure rate on those was astronomical.
Finally the Falcon and Jasper revisions made it 'safe' to buy one.

In a perfect world a product would be released and rock solid for its
intended lifetime but that just simply isn't the case for a myriad of
factors.