Inline

On Sun, Jun 20, 2010 at 12:19 PM, Fred Goldstein <fgoldst...@ionary.com> wrote:
> At 6/20/2010 12:32 AM, Faisal Imtiaz wrote:
>>You know your stuff in-side out, hands down there is no argument about
>>that :)
>
> Thanks. :-)
>
>>Getting back to your original quest... You are going to find the following:-
>>
>>The non-licensed wireless world is not as mature as the wire line
>>world... think of today's wire less world being what the wire line world
>>used to be about 10 -15 years back. Most of what you are citing from the
>>Ethernet World, only became available and in common use in the last 10
>>years or so... before that, everyone was happy doing conversions from
>>TDM ...(speaking loosely).
>>
>>In the wireless world of today, especially what folks here deal with,
>>have some set outer boundaries ... a few of these are things like...
>>performance, based on standard(s) , LOW COST, small in power
>>consumption, etc etc...
>
> It is different... in particular, the WISP community knocks a few
> zeroes off of the allowable costs.  I like that...  you can put up a
> node for what your basic Bell would pay for a jumper cable or the
> like.  This is the only way to make service affordable in small
> clusters, like <50/node.  The FCC-blessed approach, in contrast, is
> to have a rural ILEC spend $20k+ per subscriber to pull glass or
> hybrid fiber-copper to the neighborhood, and charge the rest of the
> country for it via the USF.  In this case we're in the outskirts of
> an ATT exchange, so there's no USF for them, and thus no service
> beyond dial tone.
>
> In the wireline world, we look at Vyatta as this super-low-cost
> alternative to that company that rhymes with Crisco.  Here, Vyatta is
> that high-end alternative to a Latvian import.  Those other guys, the
> ones that basically control the IETF, don't play.  I like that too...

My opinion is that the major work that is done on routing / network
hardware by the companies with deep pockets is also done for companies
with deep pockets.  So, what you get is stuff designed to solve
"national" problems, not "small town needs Internet", and then, if
needed, is just scaled down--with varying degrees of success.  It's
not just a matter of wireless running 10 years behind
wireline--wireless really doesn't have anyone with deep pockets
addressing these sorts of issues.  Large-scale mesh from hard-core
networking companies doesn't exist: the major service providers that
do wireless pretty much all universally backhaul over wireline and
avoid these issues.  Unless the trajectory changes, I'd say that these
issues aren't on a path to ever being solved, let alone inside of 10
years ;).  So, it's probably a matter of roll your own or push back on
the wireless vendors (Ubiquiti, Mikrotek), although I'm sure that they
run on ridiculously thin margins and would need enough of a coalition
to convince them that they could see any ROI by bringing this to
maturity; it's also complicated by the fact that a lot of the vendors
core expertise is RF, not IP.

For what it's worth Fred, I somewhat disagreed with your assertion of
"IP is just another layer two protocol" that made in a previous post.
In the end, the power of IP is in its hierarchical nature which lets
you summarize, which is critical to the amount of processing that it
takes to process network decisions on a network of non-trivial size.
That said, as long as you route, not bridge customers onto your mesh
network, then the mesh network itself will remain small enough that
layer two is perfectly reasonable.  If you do HMWPplus, then I'd
assume that you'd at some point need to scale by splitting mesh into
multiple meshes; OLSRD is probably going to handle a large number of
nodes more gracefully.  However, as has been pointed out, having
link-quality information as part of the routing decision is critical
and, in the end, it is a lot more elegant to put that on layer two
than on layer 3 like OLSRD does.

You nailed a fundamental problem which is the lack of any sort of
carrier / metro Ethernet style setup.  For most traditional wireline
vendors in this space, there are two basic components to making this
work--classes of services / QOS (router side) and then the
provisioning system which actually knows what's provisioned and what
the remaining capacity on various spans is.   The missing piece in
this puzzle for wireless is the provisioning system, although the
algorithms for doing route/bandwidth capacity calculations in a
many-to-many mesh architecture are non-trivial to develop, to say the
least.  If you limited yourself to a ring-architecture, it would be
much more doable.