At 6/18/2010 07:21 PM, Greg Ihnen wrote:
>Are you seeing benefits from the mesh approach that you wouldn't get
>from backhaul/APs? Doesn't the mesh gear usually have
>omni-directional antennas which can be problematic in an RF polluted
>environment.

There's more than one type of "mesh" out there, and I may need to be clearer.

The first generation "WiFi" mesh, with the same frequency used for
access and meshing, was a bad joke.  It reminded me of the AX.25
digipeater networks that we played with in the 1980s.  They
demonstrated, in slow motion, what didn't work!  The early Trangos, I
think, were like that.  They could "mesh" about one hop from the
injection point.  At that point in time I discounted "mesh networks"
as a bad idea.

Then came multi-frequency meshes.  These do the backhaul on one
frequency and access on another.  (Okay, SkyPilot can use the same
frequency for both, but it's layer 1 synchronous.  That works
too.)  This is what I'm talking about.

>Probably a better way would be to use a standard back haul with
>access point network and if you want redundancy put in extra back
>hauls and extra access points. The back hauls could switch over
>automatically, and the AP's would just need be commanded on or off.

Well, that's what the hardware might look like.  A typical box would
have three radios, two for a backhaul chain and one for access, or
maybe more access radios if sectorized.  We can't use "standard"
one-hop backhaul because the customers are in a tough location
(basically wedged between a rock and a wet place) that's a few radio
hops away from anywhere.  And that's one reason why per-hop latency
is all-critical.  I could put a chain of back-to-back radios there,
but would run out of frequencies and room on the poles/towers before
I got a few hops in... I need to extract some of the signal at
several stops along the chain.  I've been playing with RadioMobile
and while I think its land cover forest-loss computations are *way*
optimistic (even pushing it to 180%), it has helped identify the only
possible ways in and out.

I call that a mesh... but it has nothing in common with urban meshes,
LAN meshes, or those awful home-router toys.

Aaron added,

..> and layer 3 meshing gets the job done.
> > Why layer 3? Because you don't want it all to be a single layer 2
> broadcast area :)

I don't want a layer 2 broadcast mesh, actually.  I'm thinking more
in terms of Carrier Ethernet, if I can make that work.  It's
switched, not bridged.  Huge difference.  I've got some
bridged-network horror stories to tell myself, and I don't like
bridging.  But suffice to say that the project in question is not
exactly a pure IP network.  That's a story for another time though.

> > Your spectrum is just too valuable to send every broadcast
> message to all others in the network.
> > Combine that with BGP/OSPF/whatever backbone links which are
> built point to point (or point to a few multipoints)
> > with high capacity and you are set.
> > This way you can even have layer 2 meshes interoperating with
> different meshes or OSPF/BGP/IS-IS/whatever protocol
> > backbone networks.

HMWPplus seems to be doing an SPF protocol among nodes, at a layer
below IP.  That seems right to me.  BTW I'm pretty familiar with SPF
routing concepts.  Way back in 1986 or so, I started writing RSPF, an
SPF routing protocol for IP over radio.  A couple of guys implemented
it, more or less, in Linux, in the 1990s.  But it's pretty much
forgotten.  I've moved past IP; it's just so T.C.

So I am really open to suggestions, and I hope I've made my
requirements clearer.  This is a challenge to serve the most
impossible place we know of; our second expected project area some
miles away looks to be just a bit easier.  (Still convex beach and
wooded hills, but it doesn't look as steep.)

  --
  Fred Goldstein    k1io   fgoldstein "at" ionary.com
  ionary Consulting              http://www.ionary.com/