BTW... as I have said earlier.. the UBNT is 95% baked...and work in progress.. Earlier in the day there was a post on the UBNT forum, claiming that a software bug has been identified which was causing the Ap & Sm not to pass any data....and is expected to the fixed shortly...... I would suggest that you keep an eye out for that..

Faisal Imtiaz
Snappy Internet&  Telecom

On 8/9/2010 12:54 AM, Robert West wrote:

Lockups with watchdog enabled also.  Doesn’t help in my case.

*From:* wireless-boun...@wispa.org [mailto:wireless-boun...@wispa.org] *On Behalf Of *Ralph
*Sent:* Sunday, August 08, 2010 11:39 AM
*To:* 'WISPA General List'
*Subject:* [WISPA] UBNT thoughts

Hi Faisal and the list

We have also been using UBNT quite a bit lately over the last couple of years. I’m anxious to try some of the 900 and 3.65 when the time is right.

Nano 2 and Nano 5 have been in our arsenal for as long as they have been out. Never had a lick of trouble with them other than a WPA issue on the very first ones. It got fixed quickly in firmware.

Have now been using Nano 5M for some short links as well. They seem to work well, giving great throughput, but we have had a couple that want to lock up. Haven’t put the watchdog on yet. I think the issue is likely with WPA- seems like that has been an issue with several manufacturers who use that chipset. I think the UBNT forum has some threads on that. We try to keep them on the latest firmware (and sometimes on the beta ).

We have a PowerStation 5 link with 2 2’ dishes going 20+ miles and it just hasn’t missed a beat. Recently lightning took out all the Tranzeo and Deliberant on the tower and only 2 things kept on ticking: The Canopy AP and the PowerStation 5. A lot of our old Deliberant and Tranzeo gear is getting eaten by lightning and some of the Deliberant boxes (the gray ones) are beginning to leak and corrode inside, so we are switching to UBNT as that happens.

We have a long Rocket 5M link up with 2’ dishes and it works pretty well so far. Because of the 20 mile distance, we need to increase dish size though. Signal isn’t good enough to use Airmax.

Just put up a tower cluster of 3 Rocket 2 radios/sectors replacing some Deliberant 2700s. So far so good, but don’t have enough users on it yet to tell about any issues with the sector patterns.

We have never used a piece of uncertified gear! I value my license (Amateur one) too much to get involved with illegal activities and the FCC. They tend to go harshly on Licensees for violations even in other services. The Latvians make great routers (we use them almost exclusively) but I wouldn’t touch their wireless with a 10 foot pole. There is plenty of reasonably priced great gear out there whose manufacturers do go the extra distance to get certified.

Just my .02 from a good old Southern boy.