i know you're in the St. Louis area, so maybe you have experience with
them there.  All carriers have their good and bad POPs\towns.

Cogent may or may not peer with many other carriers in St. Louis,
forcing off-net traffic through Chicago or Dallas, adding a several ms
and points of failure.

They may have a severely underpowered set of routers that just can't
keep up.  Since St. Louis is on one of their 2 major E-W routes, maybe
their long haul capacity through St. Louis is bumping it's limits.  I
have a pretty good idea who they're using for their Chicago - Omaha,
personally, I don't know why they don't light all the way to Denver,
since it's available.

I'm not saying that any of these things ARE happening, just examples of
something that may affect any given carrier at any given POP.

-----
Mike Hammett
Intelligent Computing Solutions
http://www.ics-il.com