I agree. Lots of options. I suggest getting a list of who is in the meet me
room at your closest carrier hotel. That's how I found a couple of fiber
providers I didnt know about (socal Edison and Burbank dwp ). Some hotels have
wireless meet me rooms for backhaul.

Any way to backhaul from a carrier neutral pop over a wifi link or 3? I'm
thinking a one time capex investment of say 1k (ubnt gear, solar backup,
installation grounding, shieled cable) you could save a lot of opex every
month. You would have a rental and cross connect fee per month of course.

Actually it doesn't even have to be carrier neutral. Ive been surprised how
many places offer colocation on towers. Att and tmobile have comprehensive info
online. Lots of other fiber providers have facilities you can rent some tower
space at.

Wireless local loop seems to be the way to go. Carriers seem to be embracing it
as a revenue stream. Might as well get something instead of nothing.

"Faisal Imtiaz" <fai...@snappydsl.net> wrote:

>Legacy loops (DS3/OC3) are some of the most expensive local loop
>transport circuits.
>There is no single way to find an alternate / less expensive local loop
>transport.
>
>The amount of options greatly varies on exactly where you are. It could
>be an alternate CLEC, Local Cable Company, Fiber Division of local Power
>Company, etc.
>

>If you send me (off list) the address of where you are, I may be able to
>suggest some alternate's.
>
>Regards.
>
>Faisal Imtiaz
>Snappy Internet & Telecom
>7266 SW 48 Street
>Miami, Fl 33155
>Tel: 305 663 5518 x 232
>Helpdesk: 305 663 5518 option 2 Email: supp...@snappydsl.net
>
>On 10/4/2010 11:56 PM, Roger Howard wrote:
>> Thanks for your replies everyone, there's good feedback in this thread.
>>
>> Regarding Faisal's comment:
>>
>> "Additionally, if you are paying in the range of $1500 to $3000, then
>> it would also be worth-while to consider purchasing a 'Gig E'
>> transport to a Carrier Neutral Faclility ( eg. 56 Marrietta in ATL, or
>> Dallas, or VA etc), and then picking up Bandwidth of your choice
>> either directly or in-directly)"
>>
>> I am paying above that range, but most of it is for the local loop of
>> our 20 meg fractional DS-3. Who would I go to to get a circuit as you
>> describe, surely it would have to be my local phone company who is
>> already charging me a lot more money for a lot less circuit? How can I
>> get around this?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Roger

from the desk of Charles wyble
ceo & president known element enterprises
xmpp/sip/smtp: char...@knownelement.com
legacy pstn: 818 280 7059