My Take on routers.

Off the shelf routers are the #1 trouble issue on the Zig network.  Anything
from gaming issues, to speed issues, to reliability issues. They account for
roughly 92% of all calls.  The first thing we have the customer do after
reboots of everything is bypass the router. Most of the time this shows the
customer it's their router, or something behind it.

In our past life we started out selling routers. We looked for the cheapest
ones we could find, which at the time were dlink. What we found was
customers then considered that our equipment. "Well the router you sold me
went out." was something we heard a lot. Or "I reset the router now you have
to come out and configure it"

What we are doing this time around is we have only one officially approved
router. The Mikrotik 751. We have a local computer shop which stocks them
and sets them up.  What he does as far as support is between him and the
customer. I am pretty sure he tells them he is just a retailer for the
product and if they want his help he will gladly charge them his hourly
rate. All about expectations up front.

By doing all of this we are not in the router business, but the customer
gets a solid product and cuts down on our calls. In turn we have a happier
customer base. And if need be, we can actually login to their router and do
torch, etc.

Justin