One customer that knows enough to be dangerous runs around town telling 20
people they hate your service.

From: wireless-boun...@wispa.org [mailto:wireless-boun...@wispa.org] On Behalf
Of Justin Wilson
Sent: Friday, April 27, 2012 1:11 PM
To: WISPA General List
Subject: Re: [WISPA] Customer Routers

            Yes there are. But the ones who don't know what you are doing cost
you money, time, and reputation.

            Had one guy just the other day called every time his Internet went
out. This had been going on for 3 days.   It would go out for 3-4 minutes at a
time. He's a gamer and belongs to some Clan.  Guy was so irate one of the
younger techs went out and sat with him for an hour. During that time his
Internet went out 3 times.   Tech breaks out a 751, hooks it up, Internet lasts
an hour. Hooks his router backup and within 15 minutes Internet goes out.

            We were willing to give him the 751 and just charge him for the
service call. The Customers response was "I paid $200 for this gaming router.
If you can't make it work I am switching".  Even if we installed our own router
he was going to hook up his gaming router anyway because the box said
"optimized for online gaming".

Service was pulled, he want to the 15 meg Wild Blue, and now he is begging to
come back because he can't deal with 700ms ping times.

            This customer was so clueless and such a loud mouth he scared away
3 installs, not to mention all the support time. That is why we don't install
software. Most of the time we si the customer in front of the computer and walk
them through the configuration. No room for "I don't know what they did to my
computer but now my printer doesn't work."

            Justin