From: wireless-boun...@wispa.org [mailto:wireless-boun...@wispa.org] On Behalf
Of John Thomas
Sent: Sunday, September 08, 2013 2:47 AM
To: WISPA General List; Blair Davis
Subject: Re: [WISPA] 802.11 and roaming

It sounds like you didn't try Cisco CAPWAP controller based APs. You have very
fine control of how they roam.

John

Blair Davis <the...@wmwisp.net <mailto:the...@wmwisp.net> > wrote:

I've tried MikroTik.

I've tried Cisco.

I've tried UniFi.

I pretty much don't think there is a working way to roam from AP to AP with
802.11 in an open system.

The client holds on to the weak AP long after there are stronger AP's to talk
to.

I think this is just the way it works.

Now, we are giving each AP a unique ESSID but keeping them bridged on the wired
side and requiring the user to change the connection when out of range...

Not the best answer, but it works much better for the clients who don't move
much...  I'd love a better answer...

--
West Michigan Wireless ISP
Allegan, Michigan  49010