From: "Art Stephens" <asteph...@ptera.com>
To: wireless@wispa.org
Sent: Friday, January 31, 2014 10:29:09 AM
Subject: [WISPA] Are we being muscled out of the 5265 - 5700 frequencies?

Recent events make me wonder if the FCC is trying to muscle wisps out of these
frequencies.
Since we are primarily Ubiquiti equipment I can only speak from that platform.
First the latest firmware update removes compliance test which for about 40% of
our equipment deployed would render them unusable since 5735 - 5840 runs at -
50dBm or higher noise levels in our area,
Second is new product released only supports 5735 - 5840.
Seems like DFS is such a pain that manufacturers do not want to mess with it.
Case in point the new NanoBeam M series only support 5725-5850 for USA.
Worldwide version which we are not allowed to buy or deploy supports 5170-5875.

Seems the only alternative is to go with licensed P2MP which makes more money
for the FCC and drives the cost of wireless internet up for both wisps and
consumers.

--

Arthur Stephens
Senior Networking Technician

ptera.com
facebook.com/PteraInc | twitter.com/Ptera