On Mon, 31 Mar 2014 11:09:31 -0400
  Fred Goldstein <fgoldst...@ionary.com> wrote:
> On 3/31/2014 10:03 AM, wi...@mncomm.com wrote:
>> I have a customer that we installed an IP phone system for. They moved their
>>office to a new building where the telco couldn't or wouldn't bring service
>>to.
--snip--

> Which solution is best for the customer depends on how they use fax and how
>critical it is.
>
> I just uploaded my FCC Comments on the AT&T "experiment", one which proposes
>that fax capabilities be lost.  I pointed out that fax is sometimes used for
>reasons that distinguish it from email: Security and privacy (no middle man
>server), knowledge of receipt (not just to a mailbox), and reliability (no
>servers, no attachments).

I don't want to start a long thread about fax but --<RANT> Fax over copper was
never
either secure or private. The transmission always was fairly easy to intercept
if
you were snooping on a particular individual/business. Plus, you have no idea
who
walks up to the recipient fax machine which I maintain should disqualify it
for both
the legal and medical communities. Some of the old time phone phreaks
used to have the CO automatically bridge lines to a cable pair that they had
"acquired"
during call setup. (Hopefully they were all chased out of the system some time
ago)
Fax is a loose standard and should have died out a decade ago. (IMHO) A
peer-to-peer
encrypted, standards based system would have been the likely result and this
"silliness"
about supporting analog fax would go away. </RANT> That said both of the
methods mentioned
in this thread work about as well as traditional copper which is less than
100%. Even
on copper expect a few customer calls.

>  Internet fax is actually the worst of both worlds,
>putting fax in series with email.  So it's useful if you get the occasional
>fax from someone who can't scan documents otherwise, but it's not useful if
>you use fax the way pharmacies, doctors, and courts do.
>
> Since VoIP doesn't support modems or fax, if they need real fax, they need a
>way to extend the signal ("dial tone") to the new site. This can't just run
>over "best efforts" IP.  But there are systems that do the timing and
>buffering to enable TDM to be reliably emulated across a wireless link (I
>suggest using a high-priority VLAN and no public IP).  We're using the RAD
>IPmux series. We're putting them in to replace T1s, for instance, to support
>fire department voting receivers (very quality critical) across Ethernet
>radios.  Not exactly cheap, but it's a nice tool.  They are available with
>different types of interfaces.
>
> --
>  Fred R. Goldstein      k1io     fred "at" interisle.net
>  Interisle Consulting Group
>  +1 617 795 2701

Larry Ash
Network Administrator