On Wednesday, April 02, 2014 6:55 AM, Fred Goldstein <> wrote:

> But in addition to that, I STRONGLY recommend a separate VLAN for the
> voice-grade channels.  With priority, or reserved bandwidth. TCP/IP in
> normal operation manages its flow rate by having packets thrown away;
> that's why the 1G LAN port on your PC doesn't blast a whole file at 1G
> into a 2M link.  It uses packet loss as a signal. TCP applications
> retransmit and actual human voice is intelligible with some gaps, but
> modems, including fax, are very unhappy.

Do note that RTP is implemented over UDP, not TCP, so in VoIP, a dropped audio
packet is a lost audio packet, not a delayed or even out-of-order audio packet
(although those other two things can happen...they just aren't a result of
retransmits, or at least not a retransmit initiated by Layer 4).

--
Nathan Anderson
First Step Internet, LLC