Regarding USF....

" wholesaler must have evidence that the reseller customer both “(1)
[incorporates] the purchased telecommunications services into its own
offerings, and (2) can reasonably be expected to contribute to support
universal service based on revenues from those offerings."

In the past it was possible to be exempt from your upstream from charging you,
by only declaring that you were a reseller, and all that you had to do to get
exempted was to show that you utilized the telecommunications services in your
own retail offerings. The advantage to USF, would have been the ISP would
likely sell the retail service for more money than the wholesale price and
therefore collect higher USF funds. However, the loop whole for the ISP was
that once they were exempt with their upstream, there was not much control to
verify how much USF the downstream ISP would collect or be required to collect.
For example, if the reseller ISP only sold information services "Internet
Access", the ISP would never collect or pay USF.  So, the above quoted clause
did away with that loophole, by adding section (2), now making it a requirement
that the wholesaler reasonably expect the reseller to pay into the USF based on
revenues from those offerings. Meaning Wholesalers could make downstream ISPs
prove they are paying into USF before allowing exemption.

Tom DeReggi
RapidDSL & Wireless, Inc
IntAirNet- Fixed Wireless Broadband