No one has said anything about the use of rogue AP detection from a
troubleshooting standpoint. In our environment our APs do a monitor mode
cycle occasionally and use the information each AP gives the controller to
determine if something wireless is present. It uses the collected data to
"attempt" and provide a location. This is fantastic and can provide a lot
of useful data that you can act on to resolve and prevent problems in a
corporate wireless environment.

I would agree that interfering inappropriately with the data these tools
provide you with may or may not cause you legal trouble. Of course that is
no different than owning a gun in Wisconsin. Its alright to have it but
point it at the thing and you might find yourself in hot water.

** feeding the trolls nothing to see here :) **