On 3/1/2017 8:31 PM, Chris Fabien wrote:
Planet mgsw-28240

Thanks for the model number. I had looked on Planet's web site but there were no switches under "Braodband Communications"; that model was in the "LAN switch" section. The product name then says "Managed Metro Ethernet Switch" but it doesn't mention any MEF compliance, the application page says "core/department network" (though it uses SFPs, which is odd there), and its QoS features don't seem up to MEF standards (three-color marking, etc.). So it might work but I'm not sure if it really wants to be a carrier box.

What's the price? My recollection is that Planet was very very reasonable.

The other one that looks really interesting is the new IgniteNet Fusion Switch. The 20-SFP/4-SFP+ box is under $500, and seems to be aimed at Active carrier deployments. Of course it's kinda new so I don't know if anyone has it deployed yet. And I have no need for higher-layer features in a switch; I'd rather let a real router do that.