We currently have three active release branches: 3.0, 2.6, and 2.4. This is
because we support each release branch for a set amount of time (typically 24
months after the initial .0 release) and our last three .0 releases were less
than 12 months apart. However, having many active branches can sometimes cause
confusion[1] and far fewer people download the "Old Old Stable" release than
the "Old Stable" or "Stable" releases. Would it make sense to have only two
release branches active at any given time, e.g. by adjusting our release branch
lifetimes to "24 months or whenever we have two newer active branches,
whichever comes first"?

We've also been using odd minor numbers for development releases and even minor
numbers for stable releases[2] for many years now. We don't make very many
development releases and instead tend to have one or more release candidates
after branch is created. Would it make sense to drop the even/odd scheme and
make the next major release 3.1.0?

[1]
https://ask.wireshark.org/question/8433/why-are-multiple-versions-released-at-once/
[2] https://wiki.wireshark.org/Development/ReleaseNumbers