+1 for having only two supported stable versions.
One as a „long term support“ branch (e.g. 2.6 at the moment)
and one „normal“ stable (eg. 3.0 atm or next 3.2)

+1 for keeping odd minor numbers for development versions.
Maybe having a monthly rolling release with latests features to have more test
users would make sense.

Cheers
Uli