I agree that even/odd is non-standard and confusing.

> I’m not sure. How would we label the development branch? It’s currently
3.1.0 or is it 3.1.0rc0? (Version 3.1.0 (v3.1.0rc0-521-gdba02458)) would
people understand?

> But I’m ok  either way.

I think the Python developer guide <https://devguide.python.org/devcycle/> does
this well:

3.1.0TN :
* T = [a, b, rc] (alpha, beta, release candidate)
* N = release number

When development would be released, remove TN for release and increment the
MINOR for development branch.

Cheers,
Ross