From: Wireshark-dev <wireshark-dev-boun...@wireshark.org> On Behalf Of
graham.shanks via Wireshark-dev
Sent: den 12 april 2019 09:04
To: Developer support list for Wireshark <wireshark-dev@wireshark.org>
Cc: graham.shanks <graham.sha...@blueyonder.co.uk>
Subject: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Release lifetime and version number changes?

>I think dropping the even/odd scheme is a good  idea.

I’m not sure. How would we label the development branch? It’s currently 3.1.0
or is it 3.1.0rc0? (Version 3.1.0 (v3.1.0rc0-521-gdba02458)) would people
understand?

But I’m ok  either way.

>Personally I'd go down to 2 active branches but then my group wouldn't be
>adversely affected by  dropping the "old old stable" version since we
>invariably use the stable version. More weight should be given to the opinions
>of people who do >use old stable versions. I would point out that the proposed
>change gives no firm guarantee on the supported lifetime of a branch at all.
>Could it be as short as two months? Potentially,  since there would be nothing
>to stop us releasing a branch >a month (unlikely,  but from the user's
>perspective they would have no control over that)

For me 2 active branches sounds good. We use the development branch any way
with our own ID marking.

Regards

Anders

Sent from Samsung tablet.