On Fri, 20 Apr 2007, Tom_ Lewis wrote:

Espoo (pron. ES-pohh) might be a cool name, but from my experience it's kind of a suburban hell,
west of Helsinki and mostly upgraded/modernized in the 1960s/70s, replete with structures made of
white blocks, columns, and glass barrel domes -- friends of mine thought Tapiola
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tapiola : "the garden city") was a horrific example of late
modern urban planning . . . the term that comes to mind when I think of Espoo is
"nowheresville" -- am I wrong in this opinion, suomalaiset?

You're absolutely correct. Espoo is an interesting location psychogeographically so to speak. I'm trying to write at least one hundred pages.

(here's an aerial shot of the city center:
http://kepo.tkk.fi/npcw07/img/l_0d29d07229106607c43aaee2310d198a.jpeg)

There %is% a city center in Espoo?

Some of my photos from Espoo can be found at http://flickr.com/photos/jlehmus

Greetings from Siikajärvi, Espoo,