I would have thought the best way to target a browser (be it IE5 or other)
was content negotiation. Detect the browser and serve content in the
appropriate format. Does anyone else get the feeling this technique is
rarely used whilst cruder methods proliferate?

IMHO, web servers can do a lot more than just serve files and should be
exploited for all they are worth - and that's plenty. I feel this
cornerstone of the web is oft overlooked, much to the detriment of the
online experience when cruder technologies are called on to compensate.

Maybe it's just too difficult for developers to get access to webserver
configuration, or too tedious to produce content in multiple formats? Gotta
weight that against the time and effort we've all invested in workarounds
and hacks though ... The right tool for the job. One can't solve every
problem with a hammer.

cheers
Ben