Andy Budd wrote:

You say that as though the time savings are an undeniable fact. In my experience using CSS increases the initial template build and testing time but decreases the time taken to develop individual pages. As such, the time savings only really start to manifest themselves on medium to large scale jobs. For small scale jobs, it can actually take longer and thus be more costly.

I suppose I was thinking more along the terms of mid sized and up. It also depends on the complexity of the design. For a simple design the extra template development time should be small enough that there should still be some savings. In general, the advantages of standards increases as the size and intended reach of a site increases