Hugh Todd wrote:

Scott, you said,

If this IS the case, what benefits are we getting as developers for taking on extra headaches in making it W3C compliant (who by the way aren't an international elected body - more of a group that have taken liberty to makeup standards).

Who would elect such a body? Web designers? Governments? Users? The UN?

True, its just amazing how we blindly follow a cluster of people? based on the fact we hero-worship them in some way or form? What if they actually put concepts to a public vote? the web itself could vote on yes (you couldn't ask for a more diverse separated parallel society), lets abolish/implement xyz or no lets not? In that set a time frame, all votes are final, done. Wonder how a concept like this, in its basic democratic form would impact on future browser development? At the moment most browser development teams probably could only hazard a guess on what features to make w3c compliant and what ones not to (can't do them all in one hit in that or implement new approved standards). To me this would give me the little a guy at least a voice in something, while at the same time giving Browser based technologies out there an actual statistical impact study on what actual new/old issues are hot vs ones aren't furthermore it gives me the little guy who would like to help shape the online language we have come to know and love.

I mean, I'm sure the people in the w3c gang are really smart monkeys, but like all clusters of people, politics could end up driving it (whether it be some small hidden demon within who voted No on something purely because the guy who thought it up made a bad XMAS party joke about him)? its why we as a society just fail at coming to a collective decision on topics unless a majority ruling is in fact in place (look to local governments).

I dunno, personally i have set reservations on webstandards being set and expected to be followed no questions asked. You can join and "contribute" ideas to the w3c but i can't find anywhere where i can participate in some way as to how end decisions get made? unless i am an organization that appears to "pay" for such privilege?

Like all open & free good ideas, they are great on paper, but it needs money to make them work.

So to answer your question, Who would elect such a body why my good man, The web.

As it is, we have the major browser manufacturers on board, the guy who invented the web heading it up, and some of the clearest-thinking, most far-sighted people in the web community making contributions that aim to free the web from proprietory chains and dead-end hacks, with as elegant solutions as can be devised. What more could you want?

far-sighted? or near-sighted? how do you measure their progress on a daily basis? furthermore what impact are they having on new features? are they simply there for profile sake, are they active? do they embrace new technology with just as much passion as we seem to do? or are they traditional conservative people? ... in other words just because they "invented the web" many a year ago, is it a big ask for us to follow their lead still? or is it a matter of retiring the old lion and make way for the upstart cub?

Scott.

Down with proprietory solutions, I say!

-Hugh Todd