Yeah, good point Lea. From your link: "Another application of DL, for
example, is for marking up dialogues, with each DT naming a speaker, and
each DD containing his or her words."

That makes (meaningful) sense - the definition term being the speaker
and the description being what the speaker said - and seems much more
inline with the structure/meaning that a definition list implies. It
also provides the extra meaning within the markup itself - identifying
the speaker for each item.

I'd thought people were talking about using dt/dd to separate the
question from the answer (which is quite different, yet seems to be how
it is often used).

Thanks for the correction Lea!

-Michael

On Sun, 2004-09-05 at 16:12, Lea de Groot wrote:
> On Sun, 05 Sep 2004 14:53:46 +1000, Michael Nelson wrote:
> > I mean, a definition list is really for definitions
>
> No, I don't agree.
> The W3C docs site two example uses:
> - a standard term and definition usage, and
> - marking up dialogues.
> see http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/struct/lists.html#h-10.3

Proud presenters of Web Essentials 04 http://we04.com/
 Web standards, accessibility, inspiration, knowledge
To be held in Sydney, September 30 and October 1, 2004