-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On
Behalf Of russ - maxdesign
Sent: Tuesday, September 07, 2004 9:36 AM
To: Web Standards Group
Subject: Re: [WSG] Interview markup?

Drew,
I disagree with your argument (below) for three reasons.

1. Dialogs and Q&A's have the same fundamental need. The speaker and
speakers text, or questions and answers should ideally be tied together - as
they have a direct relationship with each other (name/value sets). The
questions do not need to be related at all. For example

Interview:
<dt>Question 1 - socks</dt>
     <dd>Answer to question 1</dd>
<dt>Question 2 - national dept</dt>
     <dd>Answer to question 2</dd>

2. The definition list allows for as much rambling as is needed.  You can
use block level elements in the definition description, such as the <p> and
<ul> elements. This means you can have something like the following:

Interview:
<dt>Question<dt>
    <dd>
    </dd>

All these paragraphs, which can ramble as needed, are still completely tied
to the question, via the DT and DD elements.

3. To take this one step further - using your example of one question and
multiple answers (different people answering the same question), the
definition list is still the best method for linking questions and answers.
For example:

Interview:
<dt>Question<dt>
    <dd>Person 1 answer</dd>
    <dd>Person 2 answer</dd>

Or given an even more complex option:

<dt>Question<dt>
    <dd>
    </dd>
    <dd>
    </dd>

Given the example directly above, how would you differentiate person 1 from
person 2 but still tie them both to the same question using paragraphs?
This linking is much harder to achieve using paragraphs, but simple, and
semantically correct using a definition list.

As always, just personal opinion.
Russ

I'll stand corrected. It could be done as a dialogue but it would have to be
done in accordance with the definition of a dialogue. A dialogue consists of
a dt | dd pair with "each DT naming a speaker, and each DD containing his or
her words". So to work as a dialogue the Q&A, combining your first two
examples, would have to have this structure:
<dl>
        <dt>mr. johnson</dt>
        <dd>what color are you socks></dd>
        <dt>ms oneil</dt>
        <dd>I'm not wearing any socks</dd>
        <dt>mrs. mcgee</dt>
        <dd>how can we pay off the national debt</dd>
        <dt>ms oneil</dt>
</dl>

Your third example would consist of:

<dl>
        <dt>mr. johnson</dt>
        <dd>what color are you socks></dd>
        <dt>ms oneil</dt>
        <dd>I'm not wearing any socks</dd>
        <dt>major tom</dt>
        <dd>ah yeah socks</dd>
        <dt>mr smith</dt>
      </dd>
</dl>

The examples you gave wouldn't work as a dialogue by definition. Nor could
the examples be regarded as a standard definition list since a question(s)
and answer(s) are not "a term and a description". You'd be better off with a
heading and paragraph combination.

<h3>Questions: what color are your socks?</h3>

<h4>Mr. Smith:</h4>

<h3> how can we pay off the national debt?</h3>

Of course Justin's point may trump everything.

drew

Proud presenters of Web Essentials 04 http://we04.com/
 Web standards, accessibility, inspiration, knowledge
To be held in Sydney, September 30 and October 1, 2004