Thanks Dylan, Joshua and Nick (and Amit), for the info!

Talk about 6-degrees of separation between the backend and presentation
:)

I'm currently facilitating a class learning HTML/CSS/JavaScript as part
of a Certificate IV in WebDesign. We've been learning XHTML 1.0 from the
start, separating our content/presentation etc., hopefully now as second
nature!

Now we spend the next 8 weeks or so learning PHP and I'm just rethinking
the approach that I've used in the past. Normally we use Larry Ullman's
Visual Quick-start guide, as it doesn't assume programming knowledge and
is activity based, but it is usually a bit behind (such as not using
super-globals $_POST etc).

As the Certificate IV course is only 6 months in duration, we really
need to stick to the basics of creating a small dynamic site (atm using
PHP/MySQL), as the course does not assume prior programming knowledge.

Anyway, thanks for all the ideas! I'd certainly like to integrate more
XML and xml transforms into the course (currently we only get an
overview of XML and its applications such as SVG, SMIL, RSS, XHTML etc).

If you have any further ideas, please send them my way!
-Michael