Hi

If you use a server side language to deliver dynamic markup coded to
the W3C standards the important thing is to drive the code, not let
the language drive how you work and what gets sent to the client. It
can be frustrating hearing "the html is like that because XYZ language
exports the html like that".

PHP, Perl, Python, Ruby, Coldfusion  etc all allow this freedom in my
experience / grapevine. I'm sure there are others that do the same.

The "proper way" is whatever you are comfortable with.

Cheers
James