I was present for Tantek's talk and I thought he said <address> was used
only for information about the author, not for various adddresses that might be listed on a Contact Us page. I don't recall what he said about <br>. I'll
have to download the podcast and listen to it again -- it will be a
pleasure!

Yes, you're correct about <address>: Part of the presentation was also a comment about <address> being a misnomer with the example in the spec being contradictory or at least not congruent with the actual specification and therefore not suitable for addresses in this context.

[...] considered using <span> but to me the code looks much cleaner and the css
has one less item by using <br />. (I like the less-is-more concept.)

|Hope Stewart

I would usally totally agree with the 'less is more' point but I disagree that <br /> has any intrinsic semantic value - it is purely presentational whereas <span> could if the hCard micoformat was used and it also neatly solves the visual requirement.