Curiosity - why use a span and apply display: block? Why not just use a
div in the first place?  What are we gaining that I have missed?

Hi Lea,
The <span> use instead of <div> was to allow for semantic class names as per http://www.microformats.org/wiki/hcard. Maybe it's also personal preference but I would always seek to minimise the block level grouping elements in my mark-up.

Jon Tan
www.gr0w.com