On 23/11/05, Geoff Pack <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I agree with Bert - use the start attribute and a transitional dtd. It's
> cleaner, more concise, and captures exactly the semantics of what you are
> doing. You don't need the div around the text info though.
>
> Of course you could always write out the first 39 empty list-items and hide
> them :)

Agree with Bert and Geoff here.  The dropping of 'start' attribute
from strict DTD was, and is, a controversial W3C decision - one with
which I disagree, personally.  There are plenty of plausible and
sensible scenarios for having an ordered list start with something
other than 1... this NLA case being an excellent example.  This is one
case where I would regard (this particular aspect of) validation as
being a hindrance rather than a help.