FWIW. Here's an interesting item. Using the Syllabus Finder at the Center for History & New Media, I searched for "web design." The search returned about 189,000 results. As I looked through the first couple of pages of listings, I was struck by the range of departments in the web design ed biz and the number of web standards folks. Perhaps things are not as bad as first impressions might suggest. If you're interested, Syllabus Finder is available at:

http://chnm.gmu.edu/tools/syllabi/

Best,
Paula
Paula Petrik