Al Sparber:
Doesn't this present yet another usability problem...
can explain what you mean in a bit more detail.

1. Your links open a new window object 'foo'.
2. User now has two windows: their window with your page, 'foo' with external page. 3. User decides to leave 'foo' open because they are interested in the page loaded into it, and return to their window to explore your page again. Success!! this is the exact behaviour we want from opening new windows - it's the marketing argument.
4. User finds another link to explore on your page and clicks the link.
5. The link targets 'foo' and loads a new page into it.

Now we are not only forcing the user to manage two windows, but we are also loading all our links into 'foo', which potentially the user may not want (if they are expecting to return to some content they have left before) or notice.

Phew... it all seems so much more complicated than just using a back button =)

kind regards
Terrence Wood.