Hi,

Since I made a post whose title included double-quotes on my WordPress-powered site, the W3C's validator has been whining at me:

<http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.nickfitz.co.uk%2F>

because the page now contains double-quote-delimited "title" attributes whose value, from the validator's point of view, includes double-quotes.

However, the actual source contains the relevant numeric character references (&#8220; and &#8221;), not the quote characters themselves.

From my reading of the relevant part of the spec:
<http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/intro/sgmltut.html#h-3.2.2>
the words "Authors may also use numeric character references to represent double quotes" suggest that the validator is wrong to treat the quotes in the "title" attributes as quotes - it could be said to have parsed them too early, if you will.

Does anybody agree that this is a bug in the validator (in which case I'll file a bug report), or am I missing something?

Cheers,

Nick.
--
Nick Fitzsimons