My initial tests show that NN4.03 handles some CSS (float, background,
border, font etc) but not some important things (list-style, margin and
padding on lists). Is there a source for information about CSS support on
old browsers?

if you are going to use css with netscape 4 I suggest you do lots of testing ... it's buggy as hell on that browser... and errors often cause the content not to be displayed at all! - I'd probably go for just basic html for netscape 4...

In fact it was Nestcape 4 that scared me off from using CSS for a few years!