On 30 Jun 2007, at 11:34 AM, Sander Aarts wrote:

My 'skip to' menu is like a map of the page and I believe it benefits more people than it hinders.

Can't argue with belief. If it works for you (but more importantly, for your visitors), go for it.

But at the risk of presuming to take up Michael's pov for him, I understood him to be questioning whether making a page more complex actually improves usability. OK, your pages might be complex, and so you feel the need to provide 'road maps' for people to find their way around more easily - but if the page is so complex that you need to provide a map of the navigation and content, don't you think that maybe your page is too complicated? It suggests a review of the IA as a whole. (Granted, I have no idea of the content of your site, so I accept I'm talking in a general sense, but still...)

Taken to (an admittedly illogical) extreme, you'd end up with a page, a map of skip links to explain what's there, and a map of the map to explain what's there, and...

Do you do any user testing with the target group of visitors for whom you're providing this extra 'benefit' to see if it actually works for them? Or is it just your belief?