On Jul 11, 2007, at 8:44 PM, Hassan Schroeder wrote:

..but seriously, I have *never* seen an ad for a "Graphic Designer"
(or worse, mislabeled "Web Designer") that looked for anything but
Photoshop/Illustrator, possibly Flash, proficiency. Nothing about
BA/IA/UX/ID. Zip. Zed.

In my experience, also, the position of "Web Designer" usually means specifically Graphic Design for the Web, IA is usually a separate discipline/department. But as Breton eloquently pointed out good graphic design is *much* more than "making purty", and obviously design for the web is not the same as print design. The software skills required for web design don't even come close to defining a good designer, but in today's world no designer, good or indifferent, can practice without those skills.

As to the other question addressed in this thread regarding skill sets taught in school: even if one intends to specialize, to work effectively in a team it is *very* important to have a good working knowledge of the scope of the work done by all team members.

Andrew

http://www.andrewmaben.net
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

"In a well designed user interface, the user should not need instructions."