Hi Paul

> Hmm, I have seen a few examples of people using Jscript only to do it.
>I don't need to modify the image, just reload a new one every five
>seconds or so. I can find scripts to do this, just need the fade bit I
>guess.
>Apparently, I can't use Flash for this.

I recently used jquery [1] for this, and a plug in called innerfade [2],
at http://reviews.somuchworld.com

Innerfade iterates through a list of items. For browsers with javascript
off,  quick fix for me was to set all but the first item's visibility to
hidden. A nicer fix might be to pull the additional items through via
ajax.

Once jquery and innerfade were in place, this is the additional javascript
I wrote:

/**
 * Attach to #random_town, and fade in towns
 */
$(document).ready(function () {
  $('#random_town .town').css('display', 'block');
  $('#random_town').innerfade({ speed: 4000, timeout: 6000, type:
'sequence', containerheight: 'auto' });
});

[1] http://jquery
[2] http://medienfreunde.com/lab/innerfade/

PS. The somuchworld site is a work in progress, albeit live.