Al Sparber wrote:
The animations are cool but if one optimizes images for the web then there's
not much to work with and you're back to a cross-fade. All the animations are
jittery in Firefox, which is normal, and there does not seem to be a fallback
if script is disabled to at least be able to link to all of the images. I'm
obviously a bit prejudiced, but I kind of think this one is more usable:

Yeah, I did not mean to make it sound like it was the best thing out there, but it really worked well for my last project (I did not have time to write something from scratch.)

I personally do not like all the funky animations included... Simple fades is all I will ever probably need. I like simple... Fortunately, so did my client.

I guess it depends on your project requirements... A simple image placeholder is all I usually need if JS is turned off or whatever. But I do like the thought of linking to a gallery of images.

Also, FF/XP is pretty smooth for me. But then again, I dislike pretty much all but the fading transitions.

http://www.projectseven.com/products/galleries/ssm/ssm_03.htm

That looks nice. Very good work. :)

I will have to add this to my delicious bookmarks.

Only thing I could see as being a problem for me is all the "extras."

In fact, the script I pointed to in my last post has this problem too: Too much extras.

Coming back to what I originally said above, I like simple. I am sure you allow for users to turn off all the buttons and counters and gallery menus and such, but then that makes the code that much more bloated.

I would love to see a JS fading image slideshow rotator that was highly decoupled from the CSS/HTML (unobtrusive), and that was modular... For example, instead of just setting a variable to "no" or "false" one would be able to remove the code/method from the script if not needed (vs. having the non-used functions sitting around collecting dust.)

Modular JS for those of us that feel comfortable tweaking that type of thing.

It's not free, though... but it is totally automated for Adobe Studio users.

Looks nice though.

I guess I thought the original poster wanted something more for a simple banner vs an actual gallery script.

But for a gallery application, this definitely looks worth the $$.

Have a great day/night.
Cheers,
Micky

--